Since version 3 of umbraco, umbraco supports windows live writer. For those who don’t know how to set things up, here is a short howto based on my experience.
Go to the users section in umbraco
Select for which user you want to enable this ( or create a new one) , so just select your user from the tree.
As you will see since v3 there are now 2 tab pages. One has the name of your user and the other is named content channel.
The content channel tab is the place where you need to do the configuration.
- Name: this will be the name of the content channel
- Start Node in Content : Here you need to select the parent node, the documents will be published under this node
- Search all children : this is a checkbox, check this if you want to search the entire structure and not just the first level children
- Star Node in Media Library: haven’t tested this but i think this will be the node where the media from your posts will be saved, this isn’t a mandatory item , so just leaving it without choosing an item will work
- Document Type: Here you need to select what the document type of the post you are going to make is. So if you have a document type ‘blog post’ and you want to be making blog post documents from inside live writer you will need to select ‘blog post’
- Description Field: This is the property of the document type where you want to store the content
- Category Field: This is the property of the document type where you want to store the categories
- Excerpt Field: Haven’t tested this ( not mandatory ) but I think this will fill up the property with a small excerpt of your content
So this takes care of the umbraco side of things, now how to set up live writer.
So start live writer and choose weblog/ add weblog account.
This will start the add weblog wizard, the first form you will see is this:
Here you need to select Another weblog service. Next step is to setup the credentials
Weblog homepage url: this is just the url of your website ( like http://www.examplesite.com )
Username: this needs to be the login of the umbraco user where you set up the content channel earlier
Password: the password of the user
On to the next step.
The provider umbraco uses is the Metaweblog API
The remote posting Url needs to be like this :
So the final step is to approve the settings